How To Get Rid Of Dark Spots Using Potato!!!
Dark spots are also called as sunspots (when spots caused due to prolonged sun exposure), age spots (caused due to aging), brown spots (caused due to freckles or hyperpigmentation).
These spots are caused mainly due to rising in the production of melanocytes which in turn increases the melanin content in the skin to make it look darker. They occur mostly on the face, chest, neck, back, shoulders, and hands.
Genetics, nutritional deficiencies, stress, weak liver functioning, certain health issues, improper skin care hygiene, pregnancy, skin problems (like breakouts, blemishes or acne), etc. can also cause these dark spots on the skin.
Don’t worry these spots are not harmful but the only thing it makes you look unattractive? Choose natural remedies instead of using those chemical based cosmetic products or treatments for preventing brown spots.
There are many natural remedies for treating brown spots like baking soda, apple cider vinegar. Here in this article, we came to know how to treat dark spots using potatoes.
Potato is such a natural ingredient that not only used for cooking but also helps to lighten up your uneven skin tone to make it glow naturally with even tone and scars (or spots) free.
How Does Potato Work for Dark Spots?
Potato has mild bleaching property that fades away the acne scars, spots, and blemishes.
It has starch content that reduces the pigmentation and enhances your natural glow.
The enzymes (catecholase) in this potato help to promote healthy skin by reducing the skin discoloration.
The vitamins (A, B, C & E) in potato help to reduce the premature aging of the face and thereby reduce the age spots and pigmentation.
It slows down the aging process and moisturizes (nourish) your skin to prevent the formation of spots or scars on the skin.
How to use Potatoes for Dark Spots:
Here are some best and widely used potato methods for fading the dark spot and make your skin glow with an even tone.
Method – 1: (Potato Mask with Yogurt and Rice Flour)
Rice flour exfoliates the skin to scrub away the dead skin cells and yogurt has sebum balancing property that not only prevents excess oil but also clears the acne-causing microbes. This mask will restore the skin’s natural color and thus alleviate hyperpigmentation.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 1 tablespoon of grated or blended raw potato and 1 tablespoon of rice flour in 1 – 2 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on the face as a mask by concentrating more on the spots affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes and spray some rose water on the face to dampen the mask.
- Now massage the face gently with your clean fingers for 3 – 4 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry the skin and apply a natural moisturizer to get rid of dark spots.
Method – 2: (Potato as Spot Treatment)
Potato acts as a natural skin lightener that not only fades the scars or spots but also makes your skin glow with an even tone.
Steps to be followed…
- Place grated potato mix in a cheesecloth and squeeze out the juice into a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mix and apply it on the dark spot affected areas at night before bedtime.
- Leave for overnight and rinse off in the morning to fade away the spots and acne scars.
Note: Or simply cut a potato into thin slices and use it to rub all over the blemishes, scars, and spots affected skin areas. Leave for few minutes and rinse off the area with water.
Method – 3: (Potato with Lemon Juice)
Both lemon juice and potato acts as natural skin lighteners and fades away the dark spots. So, this method is very effective in treating dark spots and scars on the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Take 1 medium size potato and grate it.
- Extract its juice in a bowl and add an equal quantity of fresh lemon juice to it.
- Stir well and apply this mix to the pigmented areas of the skin.
- Wait for 20 – 30 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Pat dry the skin and apply it twice daily until you get rid of the problem.
Note: Honey moisturizes the skin and prevents the drying effects of lemon juice on the skin. Mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and honey in a bowl of potato juice (extracted from 1 grated potato). Apply it on the dark spots using a cotton ball and rinse off after 20 minutes. Do it once a week.
Also, you can exclude lemon juice in the above process and apply a mix of potato juice and honey on black spots and rinse off after 15 minutes with normal water.
Method – 4: (Potato with Pomegranate)
The rich content of enzymes in pomegranate will help you in dealing with dark spots and also make the skin glow with an even tone by rejuvenating the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Peel and grate a potato and add this grated potato in a blender.
- Then add 1/2 bowl of pomegranate seeds and 1 tablespoon of water in it.
- Blend it for a couple of minutes until smooth as a juice and then add the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
- Stir well and pour this mixture into an ice cube tray by fill each section properly.
- Freeze it for few hours and remove the ice cubes from the tray.
- Take an ice cube and rub it gently on your skin where you’re suffering from dark spots.
- Wait for few minutes and rinse off with cool water.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always apply a sunscreen (or moisturizer) before stepping out in the sun to protect the skin from harmful sun’s UV rays.
- Also, wear hat, scarves, sunglasses, etc. to prevent the sun damage.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids to hydrate your skin and prevent the excess production of melanin and thereby dark spots on the skin.
- Extract the juice of 1 potato and 1/2 onion in a bowl and stir well to apply it on the affected areas.
- Rinse off with water after 10 minutes. Dry the skin and repeat this application regularly.
- Apply a mix of juice (prepared with 1/2 a potato and carrot) on the dark spot affected areas and rinse off with cold water after 25 – 30 minutes. Regular application will fade away the scars and spots on the skin.
- Cucumber soothes and hydrates the skin.
- Mix the juice extracted from 1 potato and 1/2 cucumber and apply it on the dark spot affected areas and rinse with cold water after 20 minutes to clear dark spots.
- Rinse your face thoroughly with water in the morning and at night before bedtime to get rid of spots.
- Sleep for at least 7 hours, remove makeup at night before bedtime, reduce your stress levels
- Try these Potato methods to get rid of dark spots.
- Do you know any other effective dark spot remedy using potatoes?
- Then share it with us in the below comments box.